Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blogtober 5, 2011 - "Clump for your thoughts?"

Ok, before I get into the details, let me just say that if I could have avoided this, I would have. Make assumptions that I don't groom, whatever, it's your opinion. What is FACT is that I tried to fix it the best way I knew how. The bunny gods must have wanted it to end like this. I explain at the end of this post what happened, so read that before jumping to conclusions, please.

So, some of you may know of a tiny rabbit named Tea Cup. Tiny little Black Otter. Well, you may also remember me asking how to remove mats on the fur. I am proud to announce that Tea Cup is mat free, as of yesterday! Here are some pictures of the 2 that I got off:

 Part that was attached to her tail


 Part that I would see

I was really careful about her tail part, so I used the personal trimmer for this area only. The one in my previous blog post broke (rolled off the table), so I had to use the new one (picture below), and I like it a lot!

 Part that was attached to her back/bottom


 Part I saw


The personal trimmer I used for the tail part


So, now for the story of how she got like this. I brought her to my grandmas apartment, along with her mom, and her litter mates, because I wanted to work on their posing while I was house sitting. The day I brought them, I also had to watch a friends dogs half an hour away, over night. At the time, Spencer, my husband, was working nights at Southeastern Guide Dogs, so he worked roughly 9pm-3am. It also happened to rain that night. I figured the rabbits would be fine, they were against the wall on the porch. I was wrong. I got back and they were SOAKED. There was also a wooden house in the cage, so they had some shelter, but not much. I had no idea the wind would carry the water that car into the patio, and FLOOD it. I never looked out when it rained, and the little time I was there before hand, it was only light showers, not the storm that came that night.

Knotted, mats covered the babies (mom's fur was fine), and Tea Cup was the worse. I took them all out and wrapped them up in towels and put them on the bed. They were all lined up, and I wish I took a picture of them, it was actually cute. They dried up, and over the course of a few weeks I was working with them trying to get the mats out. Out of the 4, 2 were really easy, and were mat free within a few days, and another also was free shortly after the other 2. Tea Cup was the worse. It got to the point where brushing her added on so much stress, and I was just hurting her, so I chose to just wait it out, and let her molt it out for her sake. Every now and then I would brush out another mat, and yesterday I was able to get it all off. The one at the tail worried me the most, that one I was not taking scissors near it, and I couldn't brush it out. So, I used the personal trimmers, which made my job less stressful. This litter was also the grosses litter I had ever had. They smelled from the get go, like they peed on each other all the time, and for some reason, their fur matted easier than my other litters. It must of have been the breeding combination, but they were gross, so that didn't help with the mats!

It didn't effect her lifestyle, she just looked ungroomed. She's all better now, and I am thinking about bringing her to convention!

Here she is now: *booger hates to pose*


So, here are the rest of today's Blogtobers, and I will see you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Oh she is so adorable!! Makes me want woolies again so I can just groom them.

    Don't feel bad about the clumps, my DH babies get them on their bottoms and it literally happens overnight...has nothing to do with neglect, it just happens. She looks gorgeous! Lovin your blog posts, keep it up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Thanks. I can finally show her! She didn't weigh enough when she turned 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a mat! I hope she does well at convention. Black otter is like my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete