Monday, September 19, 2011

A tale of a burnt Marshmallow

I get funny looks every time I pull out my black home grown. I mean, every single time! I didn't think it was so weird to have a black rabbit named after a fluffy white yummy food. But, I suppose it is. So, how did Marshmallow get her name? Let's start from the beginning.

Marshmallow was a singleton, her mom had 2 babies, one of which was a peanut that died shortly after I found them. I almost lost Marshmallow, she was hiding in the hay at the bottom of the nestbox. I had no idea she was there. I stood there, in really cold January weather. I was looking at the nestbox, my body half in the cage (it's a pretty big cage),  after burying the peanut. I saw a piece of hay move. I watched it, making sure I didn't touch anything. It moved again. I dove into the box, and found this little baby bunny, and put her on top of the hay, and covered her with fur. She eventually squirmed over to the corner that would soon become her little space for the next 2 weeks. She never left that corner.


Being a singleton has several issues. I should have taken a rabbit out of the other does cage to be her cuddle buddy, but I didn't. Luckily Night is a VERY good mother. Did I say VERY? I meant to say VEEEEEERY good mother. Not only was she warm during this cold week, but she was fat. Very fat.
15 days old

So, what int he world does all this have to do with her name? Well, because of her chubby-ness, she quickly got the nickname little chubby, or chubby bunny. When she got older, my husband and I were trying to think of a name for her. Eventually, we came up with Marshmallow. It was inspiration derived from her old chubby bunny persona, and the game; chubby bunny. That's it, nothing else really went into her name. She isn't fat anymore, she evened out, and has turned into quite a nice rabbit.


My first ever homegrown to be shown, first ever to win a leg (3 to be exact, as a jr), and she needs only one more as a senior to become my first ever GC homegrown. She is so sweet, and means so much to me.

Last picture:
Feeling for non existent pinbones at 1 week old


No comments:

Post a Comment