Friday, January 13, 2012

Palpating without actually palpating

Confusing title, but such an easy concept!

I was in chat yesterday, and I asked how to tell if your rabbit was pregnant without actually palpating. The reason I asked this is quite simple, Emma bit me (more of grazed me in a warning manner, she's not a bier believe it or not) when I went to touch her tummy. This rabbit is more pissy when pregnant, but to be honest I try not to mess with her when I think she's pregnant (stress and such), so I hadn't noticed any added aggression.

Tessa sent me this little paragraph:

"Then, on day 20, if she is pregnant, there will be a bulge on her right side, where the litter is pushing the caecum outward. This will not be so noticeable on the first litter, but will be obvious on later litters. Then from about day 25, you can feel some irregular lumps behind her ribs, its usually easier to feel these on her left side. These lumps are the little pups."

It's like she knew for one, which rabbit I was inquiring for, and how far along she was (smart smart). I went out to try it after asking her a few questions about it, and I have to say it is the freakiest thing next to feeling them kick for the first time! I actually felt 2 bumps on either side, and they went in when pushed lightly. I pulled out Iris to test this, and she didn't have these bumps. I will surely let you know if this is what the article described. I think this is a great way of testing, and you really don't need to take them out of the cage.

Here is the website the rest of the information is located:

http://pan-am.uniserve.com/pg000031.htm

It's located in the "pregnancy" part of the website.

1 comment: